Thursday, December 1, 2011

Finally HOME!

So sorry I haven't blogged in quite some time.  I tried to keep everyone updated on facebook on how Kellen was doing.  After 11 long, emotional days spent in the hospital, Kellen was finally released on Monday to come home.

Just a little recap of those 11 days. (I wrote a small novel so I hope you have time to read)  Kellen was taken by helicopter 6 hours after being born and flown to Women's Methodist hospital down in Omaha because he was having issues with his lungs and breathing.  Gabe went and stayed with him while I was in Harlan recovering.  I did not get released until Sunday (3 days after my baby was born).

Between Thursday and Sunday, Kellen took a turn for the worse.  He stopped breathing on that Saturday night and was put on a ventilator to help him breath.  Sunday, I got released and Gabe and I headed for Omaha.  I was able to hold Kellen for about 40 minutes before he had to be put back in his incubator.  By Monday morning, Kellen was taken of the vent and put into a regular crib instead of his incubator.  He was still on an IV, oxygen, and had a feeding tube but things were looking so much better!

By Monday afternoon, they took his oxygen away because he was doing the breathing on his own.  I was then able to start feeding him.  They wanted me to stay overnight with him so I could feed him whenever he was hungry.  I only got about 3 hours of sleep that Monday night because the little stinker wasn't quite sure how to eat yet and was very restless all night long.  Kellen caught on quickly and by Tuesday afternoon, things were looking even better!  We got moved from the 3rd floor NICU up to the 4th floor NICU.  The difference in the 2 floors is that on the 3rd floor, each baby gets their own room and on the 4th floor, there is 1 room that holds 8 babies.  The positive side to the 4th floor is that they give the parents a room to stay in while their baby is there.  This was huge for me since I was not able to leave because of feedings.
The doctors on Tuesday told us we would be going home by Thursday (Thanksgiving Day).  In order to go home on Thursday, Kellen had to gain weight and pass his car seat test Wednesday night.  He gained a few ounces which was great but he failed his car seat test. . not so great.  What the car seat test is for those of you that don't know:  The babies have to sit in their car seat for a minimum of 90 minutes.  During that 90 minutes they monitor heart rates and in Kellen's case oxygen saturation levels.  He failed the first test because his oxygen saturation level was under 90 more than 10% of the time (Kellen's was under 90 25% of the time)  We were told we would be there another 48-72 hours until he could redo the test.  Major heartbreak for this Mommy, but I totally understood that we needed to wait until Kellen was 100% ready to go home.

Saturday they thought Kellen looked better and so they gave him the car seat test again.  Failed again for the 2nd time with his oxygen sat. levels being under 90 12% of the time.  Heartbreak once again for this Mommy.  The positive was that we could see that he was improving and getting better.  We knew we were there another 48-72 hours.  By this day, I had been in the hospital for 6 days straight. . Kellen for 10 days--I missed Carson, my house, my bed, my life with my family. . . but knew I was where I needed to be and that this would pass and we would soon be home.

On Monday, day 11, Kellen was able to take the car seat test for the 3rd time.  I thought I might have an anxiety attack just waiting around for him to sit in his car seat for 90 minutes.  I decided to shower just to waste some time--after getting out of the shower, my room phone rang.  I answered to hear Kellen's doctor on the other end telling me that Kellen PASSED his car seat test and we can go home!  Emotional. . hormonal. . happiest Mommy in the world!  I immediately called Gabe (he had been at home with Carson overnight) and he hit the road to come pick up the other half of his family!  Best Day Ever!

The last few days at home have been amazing!  Carson is such an amazing big brother and loves his Baby Kellen!  He is a huge helper as well!  Kellen has been super baby!  He goes about 4 hours between feedings--at night sometimes 5 hours!  We are so BLESSED to have a now healthy baby.

We would like to thank everyone for all your thoughts, prayers, and kind words throughout this rough journey.  I am not sure how we would have gotten through if it wasn't for God and family helping us out with everything.  Life.Is.Good.

P.S. I'LL POST PICTURES TOMORROW! :)

Home Sweet Home

No comments:

Post a Comment